PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety, incidents, etc
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2006, 18:08
flybywire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For once I would like to report something really good that has just happened to me...

Yesterday I got called out for a 4-sector day. We were working with a brand new cabin crew and a crew new to the company but with a couple of years' flying experience. The captain was a fairly new captain as well. As I said we had to do 4 very short but oversold sectors. both in C and Y. As we took off for the last sector, both the purser and I (at the back) realised there was something wrong.

Myself and the other crew decided to go to the front (to respect interphone silence) to see whether they had noticed something. When we got there the purser was already in contact with the captain (to inform him that there was something wrong) who informed her that a few things were not right at all in the F/D and that he'd let us know as soon as possible what was going on and what his intentions were. It was 5 long minutes!!! We prepared for absolutely any option despite feeling the tension of not knowing what was going on. It could have been anything and a cabin crew with a bit of immagination can think of a million and one things!! We all drank a glass of water and started doing some breathing exercises to be able to slow our heart rates and to be able to focus properly. We then revised all our procedures together(decompression, Em. landing etc)

Passengers were unaware of anything but started noticing that we were going around in circles. The purser then made a PA informing that the captain would speak as soon as he could, and so he did straight away. He clearly - but at the same time in a very reassuring way - told them we had a problem and that we had to land back. He then asked us to prepare the cabin for a heavy landing.

All the crew were fantastic during this time, including the brand new one who had just come out of SEP training!!! Communications with the FC was really good all the way through and also while we were stuck on the ground waiting for the engineers to find the cause of the problem and solve it. They couldn't so we had an unscheduled night stop - unfortunately most of our valued customers were in the same hotel but yet again, the FC leadership and support was extremely good and made sure we were all safe and well in our rooms. We also had an extensive debriefing so that we all knew exactly what happened and we had a chance to share our own views and unload some "weight"!!!

I just wanted to write this as I have had some bad experiences in the past but also good ones, and this was a clear example of a professional, united crew where communication wasn't a problem, nor was it misused in any way. No false leaderships, but a very open, honest and professional approach by each person in their own specific role and as a whole team too.

We were happy about the decision of the FC to land back and we tried to help those passengers who became grumpy understand why. it's better to be on the ground wishing to be in the air than the other way round!!!

Our colleagues on the ground did a brilliant job too making our unscheduled stay as trouble-free as possible.

24 hours later we were all safely back at base. One thing I've learnt, always have some sort of make-up remover in the day bag!!!!!

I'm really proud of my colleagues today

FBW