PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Wizwheel, time to say good bye?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2006, 17:20
BEagle

Received 333 Likes on 116 Posts
Although I find the whizz-wheel pretty simple to use, I have no problem with people who prefer to use elctronic or on-line methods. But however they do it, they should be able to minimise error pre-flight as Say again Slowly states.

Now it's invention time. Let's have an on-line UK navigation tool with accurate wind/temp information. I want to be able to specify or drag-and-drop my start point, turning points and destination onto an up-to-date electronic chart (a bit like MS Autoroute!). I then tell it my IAS and leg cruising levels and select 'create plan' - it should know all about variation etc automatically. Then download it onto a USB stick and trot off to the aerodrome. At the aerodrome I insert my USB stick into a planning computer - and ask it to apply current met info and ETD to the plan. Also to warn me of any pertinent NOTAMs within a specified distance of the route.

Then take the plan with winds-of-the-day and insert it into my aircraft's mini-FMS USB port. When I get airborne, this monitors my actual v. planned route using GPS and nags me if I get off track or near wherever any NOTAM'd restrictions are....

Although currently I still fly with a chinagraph line on a map, surely the next generation of GPS units should be able to accept a USB stick with a standard format route plan? Or maybe they already can?

The aeroplane would be of modern lightweight design and construction with a FADEC controlled efficient engine - not a 1950's combine harvester gas guzzler!

And perhaps come with an optional aerosol can of 'Olde Aviator' odorant to appease the anoraks?