PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NSW EMS (NGO or Private operator)
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2006, 13:30
fatrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just another trick, While you have obviously done some work with the details you posted, I feel that you may be clouding the numbers with a little trickery.

CareFlight-- 3 aircraft funded for 2, true, however we must remember that the 3rd was put in for their head injury study, and it was CareFlight pushing this barrow, this is not part of the existing contract, and as such should not be included in the formula you so nicely displayed.

Surf-- 2 aircraft funded for 1, this is true, however we must remember that when the contract started the did have a contract for both, have you used this data in your formula??, To be fair this should have been.

CHC --1 machine-- I must remind you that it was Health that approached CHC, and CHC as far as I am aware offered several options for a short term non contract. From what I am lead to believe Health are very happy with this service, however I digress, and we will accept your numbers.

While we all accept that the current NGO's are doing a good job in the eyes of the public, and their own, I think we need to ask are they doing a good job in the eyes of the customer? Both services have very active PR machines and are very good at having the spotlight shining in their direction at every possible moment, they have to, because if they don't the public would not dip into their pockets to "help".

The public are paying not one but twice for these services, once through their taxes, and once from their post tax money. Why should the public have to pay for this service is the question that needs to be answered.

This issue will always get passionate arguments from the NGO's (no NGO no job so we can understand), and some commercial operators, and not just the red bird, the Aussie Helicopters, Jayrows, Hevilifts and smaller operators too, they would be mad not to try for a slice of the pie. If a commercial operator gets the gig, they must have done some hard work to keep the cost down and be competitive in the tender proccess.

When the contracts are awarded there will be people that feel that they have been hard done by, the commercial operators can continue with what they already have, the NGO's if they miss out will have to shut up shop, and the employees will need to find employment in the commercial world. Many will adapt quickly to life in the real world, and others will flounder.

Good luck to all who tender, and when it's over we can all get back to seeing what else to post about!!

fatty