PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Wizwheel, time to say good bye?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2006, 11:59
Signature

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it worked for your dad...

I teach my cadets to try and do everything with circular computers. It freaks them out how easily, and accurately most things can be calculated on the Whizz.

Recently I held an informal briefing on the lost art of 'Whizzing'. Taught how to calculate the cost of each can of beer (6pack vs carton), exchange rates and how fast your car goes (percentage Mach).

Personally, I have recently discovered how to calculate head/cross wind components using the SIN/COS feature on the wind calc side. All you need to know is the difference between track and wind origin, and wind strength. Set COS 0 (the top) to wind strength on outside scale. Then decide if you want to calc crosswind or headwind.

Want to know wind on your SIDE? Use SIN. - X wind

Want to know wind on you COCK? Use COS. - Head/Tail wind.

Being really crude helps me remember, so sorry about writing cock.

If you wanted to get really technical, you could calculate 'ETAS', or effective tas reduced by wind drift... Don't worry, blame the slower performance on your crate.

Back to the whole point, people far smarter than use designed an incredibly intimidating device, which is really very easy to use. The Jeppesen CR series are the only way to go, the sliders do not have enough functions and get out-grown. I'm sure every one of use would love an original Brietling Navitimer with authentic slide ruler in the bezel...

And chicks won't steal the batteries from it to put into remotes.