PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheffield
Thread: Sheffield
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2006, 11:47
MyData
Fixed+Rotary (aircraft, not washing lines)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLP

I moved to Sheffield (SCFS) from Leeds with about 40 hrs under my belt. Had the PPL in the bag not long after (about 50 hrs I think).

I couldn't recommend them highly enough. Excellent staff and instructors. Very friendly, relaxed and accommodating. The place is run with a 'club' feel although it is a school. The airport facilities (offices, briefing rooms, cafe, hangarage, apron, fire control etc. etc. ) are of amazing quality compared to various other places I've been. My very first introduction to the school was a weekend away to Cherbourg with the school taking a DA40 and 2xPA28. They also have a C172.

As Whirlybird points out, EFATO on R28 would be 'interesting' and still gives me the jitters when I depart that way. What this means is that students cannot fly solo from the airfield (on either R28 or R10). So you will be ferried to Gamston or Sandtoft before and after each solo jaunt. This will add perhaps 50 mins to each part of your solo exercises. But is useful practice to do some revision with an instructor en-route.

Do a search for Sheffield City Flying School for more information, then give them a call and ask for Steve (CFI). A very friendly and helpful chap.

Now that 09/27 has closed at Leeds that may have an impact on GA operations and add to crosswind challenges to students - but I've not been there since the runway was closed so can't comment on changes.