PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QATAR AIRWAYS
Thread: QATAR AIRWAYS
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2006, 09:38
ghandou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hawaiianhosty is right, those were definitely the good days in Qatar. The social life was good, the sun was good and in general life was perfect.

The change in Qatar came with the push for the Asian Games. Hawaiianhosty you wouldn't even recognise Qatar now, the crime rate is soaring as the population increases, nothing is cheap (well, fags are still QR5.50) but taxi's have been converted to "Limo's" now, minimum QR50 a ride. Rent is 4-5 times more than it used to be (min QR8,000), food has gone up, beer prices have gone up (Syndicate prices tripled since Qatar Airways took it over), the Sheraton bar is unheard of these days with the majority of people going to the Pearl (very plush, very expensive), the list goes on. You could say, unfortunately, that Qatar has really lost that unique charm that it had back at the beginning of the millennium.

Almost in unison, as Qatar is going downhill, so is Qatar Airways. The CEO was always prized on his professionalism, but now I wonder if he's borderline control freak who's losing the plot. Someone who cuts already poor wages, treats staff terribly and will not listen to reason whilst having a temper tantrum sounds to me like the man they've just removed in Iraq

It's amazing how much can change in 4 years. I lived in Qatar for 26 years, it was my home and where I grew up, I left at the beginning of this year as it has become so unfamiliar to me. I wouldn't say don't move to Qatar, it still has its treasures (if you can afford them), but I would, with a heart of passion, say...DO NOT WORK FOR QATAR AIRWAYS! Good luck.