PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monitored Approach
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2006, 09:02
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was responding to hec7or's comment <<I've been handed control at 1000' radio in IMC in marginal Cat 1 by an inexperienced FO despite the company requirement for the FO to fly the approach to minimums or until I say "I have control" or "land".>> where someone evidently should not have been doing what was required of them. Operating in these conditions is not for such people.

For the reasons stated where we can look to DHs far lower than 200', maybe even 50', the days of swapping control at DH are gone- it's dangerous. There is no advantage with taking control at DH, even at 200'. What do you suggest for a DH of 50', 20'? You will probably only have seen approach lights and a bit of runway (you have been monitoring outside as well as concentrating on RA). If you then take over, you are probably less aware of attitude than the handler. If you then take over low down, you are more likely than the other guy to start changing pitch according to visual conditions and falling into the sudden visual trap of lowering the nose. You are far more likely to make a porridge of it. It is better that the handler from 1000' keeps it and starts looking up, but holds the attitude exactly (he has been flying it to that attitude and knows it).

I think the BA way (and many other airlines now), works best, in bad weather undoubtedly. My current procedures are not to do it- but that's fine- I'm happy doing either way.