PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A different GPS question - Thoughts on Pocketfms
Old 11th Jun 2006, 18:54
ex jump pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use Pocketfms on my Medion (which my wife bought for me from Halfords in the UK to stop rows in the car re which road to take). I've tried it out in the car to get more familiar with it and used it y'day (with flight plan) in the Cub I fly. Very happy with it as a supplement to my chart reading and to act as a 2nd opinion as to which way to go when leaving distant airfields to get home.
The dashboard screen is quite valuable as it give ground speed. Have yet to use it for estimating the wind.
The Medion doesn't have a very bright screen so a fair amount of the menu is unreadable and requires a bit of memory to click on the required item. In fact, I just toggle between the map and the dashboard. Just make sure that you set it up before you get into the aircraft (and turn it off to save some battery power).
The breadcrumbs file does reveal how much I wander about in flight.
Yes, the databases do have the odd error but I don't rely on them (that's why I know about the errors).
Overall, I'm very impressed with it. I've even used it in commercial flights to help stave off boredom...