PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the Grass Greener on the Other Side??
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2006, 16:12
rock_dove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left the RAF about a year and a half ago after 5 years. Do I regret it? Most definately! I left not because of money or constant detachments (a big reason why i joined RAF in first place!) but for numerous reasons, the main ones being the downsizing, civilian contracting everything, no re-engagement opportunities (at that time, for my trade and rank), little or no thanks or appreciation from MOD/Government for the job we do, trade restructuring etc and the list go's on. I left thinking that civvy street was a wonderful place with no Officers or SWO'S to blight my day, but in fact there are, just minus the shiny shoes and hat! Finding a decent job has been a nightmare since leaving, to date i have been a security guard, salesman, Offshore Worker, Delivery Driver and am currrently training as a service engineer on photocopiers, being paid less than half of the money I would be on had i stayed in the mob.

I left the RAF thinking everything was doom and gloom, but it isnt nearly as bad as you think it is, bear in mind you get all your medical and dental for FREE, something that in this day and age is very rare, you also get a good pay going in every month, your job is pretty much safe whilst serving your engagement, (even if you are a chimp, its nearly unheard of to be 'sacked' in the RAF). It is a good number, its worth putting up with all the that gets thrown your way for the positives that are there. Well, of course, that is in my opion, which im sure plenty of people out there will disagree with, which they are entitled to do, but i miss it and i am going throught the process of joining again, as NCA hopefully! REMEMBER Look Before You Leap!!!