PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type rating - My Diary
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2006, 10:56
flyfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the last bit, for a few months.

BASE TRAINING

Today I am at Gatwick to be briefed for tomorrow’s base check. Myself and the other students met up in class at 10am and were met by our training captain.
The briefing covered every moment of the circuits we would be flying, the speeds, heights, power settings and the differences in handling to the sim.
One of the last details in the sim had included circuits, so it wasn’t all alien to us, but all of a sudden it dawns that we are not going to be in a semi static box, but in control of a 50 tonne jet!
The requirement is 6 landings and take offs in order to be signed off, and these will be flown completely manually. Manually in this case means, no flight director, no auto throttle and obviously no auto pilot.
Briefing over, I got on the train, and spent the whole journey home rehearsing the calls and profile to myself. It was obvious that a little homework between now and tomorrow would free up brain space for the flying side of things. It all happens quickly in a large jet, so if you are having to think about the next command to give or flap setting to request, it’s too late, you are over on speed, height or out of your circuit.

Today I left home, with my son and my father in toe (the camera men). We drove to East Midlands airport for the scheduled base training. Upon arrival I met up with the other guys I was going to be flying with.

We got the call the aircraft was now inbound to the airport, so made our way to handling agents desk where we went through the security screening. We were led out to the apron and got on the bus which began its short journey to the remote stand our aircraft would be parking at. We all had the pleasure of watching it land and get bigger and bigger as it came in to park. As we got off I was struck by the sheer size of it. I know it’s not a 747 or indeed an A380, but to me knowing I was going to be flying it shortly, it looked just as big.

Once on board I realised why the briefing was the day before, it was straight in with the first guy. A quick introduction to the safety pilot and a ‘hello’ to the Captain, and it was doors closed, we were off.

I was scheduled to fly second so was in the jump seat for the first chap’s detail.
We taxied out and lined up on 27 at East Midlands. The runway is rather undulating so you can’t actually see the end, but once the thrust is set and the power builds, it quickly comes into view.
6 rather good touch and goes later, and it was my turn. The last landing was a full stop and we taxied to a quiet spot where I got into the hot seat. Once strapped in I put the speeds into the FMC and set the bugs. The captain and safety pilot went through the checks and he then taxied and lined up the 737-300.
Take off clearance for right hand circuits and I advanced the thrust levers to 40% N1. Once Stabilized I called for thrust to be set, and then felt as the massive engines drove me back into my seat, ‘80 knots, V1, Rotate, I pitched up to 15 degrees and after the positive climb call, I called ‘gear up’. Almost no time at all to relish the fact I am in control of this dream machine, a fifty tonne, forty million dollar Boeing 737.As quick as that would have been to say, and we are at acceleration altitude . I now pitch down to 10 degrees and commence the right turn, simultaneously reducing to 60% N1 and 6 degrees pitch attitude. This gave me 180 kts, at 1500 feet (AAL) at flap 5. The turn to downwind is continuous to a heading adjusted for the wind.
Take off, descent and approach checks out of the way and I now prepare to start the timing from abeam the downwind numbers. 45 seconds minus the tailwind. As the timing starts it stays busy, gear down, flaps 15 speed 150kts, and landing checks to flaps.
End of the timing, flaps 25, speed to top bug and a descent rate of between 500 to 700 foot per minute. Looking out of the window more now, I call for flaps 30, vref +5 and landing checks, while lining up with the centre line. Today there is a slight crosswind from the right so I try to allow for that, unfortunately a bit late. As I turn to track the runway heading, I have been blown through the centre line, so I correct to get the approach stable.
500 ft, 100, 50, 30, I start the flare and start closing the thrust levers. ‘Oh yeah baby’, as it greases down on the main wheels in just the right spot. Then ouch, as the nose wheel bashes down like I am going to see the tyres sitting next to me. Must do something about that next time!

As the aircraft is cleaned up I keep it centred on the runway and then moments after touchdown, I hear the rotate call for circuit number 2.
Five more later, the nose wheel now coming down at an acceptable rate and I am finished. A big handshake with the training captain and safety pilot as well as one of his celebratory wine gums, and I get out of the flight deck for someone else’s go.

I spent the rest of the flight exploring the galleys, the view from every seat and the loos. 28 landings later we are all done.

I now get to have 737 on my licence and I am smiling from ear to ear.

Once all the paperwork is completed I will pop down to Gatwick and the CAA and get my licence endorsed with the rating on it.

It has been a great course; I have learnt loads, both about flying and about myself. I have met some fantastic people, instructors and pupils alike. There is still along way to go to tell if it has been all worth while, but regardless, I have loved every minute of it so far and am excited for the future.

Line training to follow over the coming months, yes they are going to let me do this with passengers! I will let you know how it goes.

I Hope you have enjoyed my type rating diary and that it will be of help to anyone else contemplating this route. Just one last addition, a big thank you to my father who lives near Gatwick and who put up with me flitting backwards and forwards always making sure I had a bed if required. Cheers Dad!

Right I am off to have something that has been lacking since February, a beer!!

Regards

Flyfish