PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Navy Seasprites
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2006, 10:02
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve been informed that Mr Bally is in fact Master Bally, so I’ll not ball him out too much. I notice he uses the oz slang yous, usually spelt youse. Someone recently asked me to clarify some of the oz slang seen in certain posts. I found this site which might help.
http://www.anu.edu.au/andc/res/LambertonAND.php
A dictionary of 400 or so strine words / phrases. It doesn’t give the localities of the speech origins.

The origin locality of the word ‘youse’ is hinted at via the ref to Steele Rudd who wrote in hilarious vein about a farmer turned politician back in the 1800’s in SE Queensland. ‘Youse’ is now usually only an idiom of the backblocks.

Here is a class quote from young Bally;
“we even taught the americans how to fight during vietnam

Perhaps Master Bally could read a recent new release, ‘18 Hours’ by Sandra Lee – Harper Collins publishing. A story about Charlie Company of the 1st Batt, 87 Inf Reg at the US 10th mountain Div and two OZ signallers, where the supreme courage of fresh faced youngsters, all of whom were born after Vietnam finished, one only seventeen, gained for themselves a presidential citation amongst many other decorations during one very unpleasant day in Afghanistan.

Collaboration between themselves and the OZ SAS signals types seconded to the unit was also well noted.

A tone of reverance to the ‘frontliners’ from one so young could be welcome. I am happy to display mine by repeating a quote from a certain Geoge Orwell in the books’ preface.

‘We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us’.

Meanwhile back to the thread, yes the list of useless oz military hardware is endless, one outfit who took the piss out of the latest seasprite debacle with satire and humour was the ABC TV show ‘Chasers war on everything’.