PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article on Foxhunter
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2006, 20:00
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
NoseGunner

Fair comment about 1983. Fox was getting its first upgrade to bring it up to spec, as final development had been curtailed by the Falklands. (BF0100 series mods I recall). The mid-life upgrade (to Fox Mk2) was also planned by that time which was also, in effect, a technology demonstrator for Vixen and ECR90. Mk2 kit was available in 85.

Far from being a dream, Kestrel predates Vixen and was being trialled at RAE Bedford in a Sea King around 1984 – certainly no later than early 85. At the time, Ferranti regarded Kestrel as a simple upgrade to Sea Spray, which itself dates to around 73. Bear in mind the published ISD of Merlin at that time was late-80s. We had kit to play with, all the reliability data was known and accurate costings available. This is why so much of Merlin’s avionics is obsolescent – it is a mixture of 70s and 80s designs.

I first saw Vixen working as an early development model in late 85. ECR90 was not far behind. I stand by my point that, given the development timescales for such complex systems, state-of-the-art radar design expertise resided in Edinburgh throughout the 70s.

Ali - You obviously know RSD(S) but for my money the RSD(N) team in Edinburgh was the dogs *******. To my certain knowledge, the Chief Designer, Chief Test and Production Engineers and their teams were still in place many years after the International Signal, GEC-Ferranti, GEC-Marconi days.