PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in France (incl Permits, Private sites and Pictures)
Old 1st Apr 2005, 09:56
chalmondleigh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As it is myself who organises most of the events for HCGB I have spent a considerable amount of time researching French hotel sites.and am always pleased to help other members.

There used to be a publication called "Helite". I think it only ran for about five years with the last one being published around 1999.

Several members of HCGB have copies, including myself. Another good reason to join!

The "Relais & Chateau" Guides show helicopter landing facilities as also does the "Johansens" Guide under facilities search criteria.
Otherwise it is word of mouth or trawl through various other hotel guides and call up the likely looking ones. They are not usually too difficult to spot. I look for country location and at least three hectares of clear land. Cross checking guides against hotel websites can also be useful as many contain aerial photographs.

A note of caution however, sometimes the GPS co-ordinates given are not correct. I have seen east/west transposed. I always plot the given positions back on to a map and also buy a copy of the French IGN Series Bleu 1/25,000 to work out the position if none is given. IGN maps are obtainable from [url]www.stanfords.co.uk

Also be careful about assurances from hotel owners who tell you their site is OK for helis, they may forget to tell you about wires, obstacles or the 20 degree slope. I have on occasion spoken to local French commercial operators to ask them about a particular site.

Occasionally I have been asked for a landing fee (£40 once) with some spurious justification. I always refuse and that is usually the end of the matter.

I am always looking for new venues if anyone comes up with any.

Incidentally "delta 3" is not quite correct in saying that the French Helisurface Permit lasts for six years. I think that the way it works is that your first permit is only valid for 2/3 years and if there is no problem reported then on subsequent applications the period of validity is extended. I am on my third permit which was issued in 1997 and is valid until 2007. I can't overstress the importance of having a Helisurface Landing Permit. Last year a friend was being given a hard time by local Gendarmes after making a precationary landing with an engine problem. All was smiles when he produced the permit.