PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type rating - My Diary
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2006, 09:53
flyfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
part 4

FULL FLIGHT SIM SESSION SIX

Back at Gatwick, Alteon today and back to 6 am starts. Not too much of a pain, just have to be disciplined not to study till late.
More engine failure work today, seem to have got rid of the gremlin of heavy feet. SOPs seem to need more work, cant answer why, I know them. I have revised them to death, but occasionally I mess up a call up, which does nothing for the other guy who is expecting to hear something else.
I have been lucky on this course to be with two highly motivated capable trainees. It’s good to have a little friendly unspoken rivalry to motivate. In addition, you don’t want to let your partner down when he is flying by doing something silly.
Lesson to take away today; make sure I know the SOPs inside out and upside down. If I have to think of what comes next then I have not put enough work in..

FULL FLIGHT SIM SESSION SEVEN

Two words ‘Manual reversion’! No gym for me tonight!
When you lose both hydraulic systems, very very rare, but has happened, the 737 is still able to be controlled by the now non assisted controls. Again a great lesson in pilot co operation, and together we managed to pull off a successful landing. But boy did we sweat; the controls are akin to pushing a car up hill.
I am told that it’s even more difficult in the real aircraft, and I must say I wouldn’t like to try.
A few comparatively relaxing visual circuits after that, it all went pretty well today.
Only one full more session to go and then it’s the big one, the LST.
Session eight is all about visual circuits to prepare for the base check so as far as prep for the LST goes I am done.
Not sure if I feel ready or not, in fact I don’t get signed off until after session eight so I am not sure if the trainers think I am ready either.

FULL FLIGHT SIM SESSION EIGHT

Visual circuits all seemed to go well today. Had enough time to practice other bits which I was pleased about. Pleased with the session throughout. Report read as follows.

‘Landing technique good throughout circuits’ session. Can tend to over correct on final approach at times. In capitation and x – wind take off/ landings completed to a good standard. EFATOs / RTOs practiced to a good standard’.

Importantly, I got signed off to take the LST.
The big disappointment here would have been the extra cash an extra session or two would have cost, so I am pleased to have completed the course in minimum time. Was dreading telling the wife, that I need an extra grand or so. Just got to get through the test now!

Test is set for 3 days time, so I have been busy eating and sleeping SOPs I have all the calls etc printed out on paper in and have posted them everywhere. One for each loo in the house, the bathroom, the dining table, and the car. No newspapers, books (oh how I can’t wait to read the de Vinci code) or TV.

Hiccup, test has been cancelled due to examiner sickness so it looks like another week without letting the studying momentum go. Damm, just bad luck, nothing that can be done other than mentally prepare for the next date.

TEST DAY

I am not a nervous as I thought I would be. The test is at Gatwick the Alteon sim, the one I know the best. Don’t know who the examiner is going to be but I don’t suppose it matters; only I can pass or fail this.

I am as prepared as I have ever been for anything in my life. I thought I was well prepared for my I/R, but this I feel, I have worked my bits off for. If I don’t pass it then it won’t be for the want of trying.

Met up with the examiner, yet again another really nice chap who went out of his way to ensure I was relaxed and in a good frame of mind.
First of all the brief, which included an informal oral questions session. Once we were all clear on the objectives and the rules my partner and I were given the route and the performance books, to come up with the flap settings and V speeds. A few trips to the loo and it was time to get strapped in. I was to depart from Birmingham, and plan to go to Manchester. Completed the safety check and the scans before sitting down and strapping in only to look up and note I hadn’t set the IRS, donut ! Out of the seat again to align them and then took a conscious deep breath. Calm down and think about what you have to do!

All seemed to come together nicely, my partner and I worked well together, the rotation was spot on, the failures that we got thrown at us, we worked through to a successful conclusion , and the NDB approach was the best I had done to date. Even my heavy feet were not heavy today, and the single engine work went without a hitch. Arrived at Manchester, and handed over control to the left seat. After landing scan and checks all seemed to flow professionally.

It was over, sim was shut down and off for a coffee and the de- brief.
The walk from the sim to the 737 briefing room was one I will never forget; only a short corridor but it seemed like miles. I knew I hadn’t screwed anything up in to big a way, but you really don’t ever know if you have done enough.

‘OK a good pass well done’, were the words I got, when we sat down. I could hardly contain my excitement, but I did try to look calm about it.  All that work all that worry, all those hiccups, I had passed, WOW what a feeling.

Base check to go now, as well as all the extra courses to get me ready for line training. Back to the books!

THE EXTRAS

Haven’t completed the base check yet, that’s scheduled for 3 days time from East Midlands. I have completed all the ancillary courses, which were not too taxing, and great fun.
These involve separate days at the Bond training centre for the CRM, aviation medical, dangerous goods as well as a swim in the pool for the wet drills.
In addition to this I have been up to Heathrow’s Cranbank again, for the 737 slide, door and smoke drills.
The other course I have been busy getting done is the 737 NG differences course. The whole type rating course to date, having been based on the ‘Classic’ 737. To put the NG (New Generation) on your licence involves some ground school another exam and a session in the sim.
I completed the sim part this morning, at Alteon .Report time was 6 am and after an extensive briefing the other trainee and I made our way to this new environment. Straight away you can tell this is a completely different beast to the Classic.

The first thing that strikes you is the 6 ‘glass’ screens that dominate the cockpit. All the information you require and I am sure lots I didn’t discover, is presented on these six cathode ray tubes.

The four hours are spent being shown the differences between the types and what the new technology can do you for. I have to say I loved it. The presentation is fantastic to use and has been thought out, it appears to make the pilots life easier. The screens present information in such a way that your scan is made much easier and management is wholly more comfortable.
I did find it floated a little more than the classic, on landing, but perhaps that was just my technique.
That was signed off as all completed to a satisfactory standard, so should I get the base check nailed, I will be a rated 737 pilot, and ready for line training.

part 5 tomorrow- Base training