PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sri Lankan
Thread: Sri Lankan
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2006, 00:21
Big Harvey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MidlandDan
Hello all,

Im flying LHR-CMB-NRT in economy in September, well i have yet to book it but im 99% certain that will be my choice....fare is very cheap.

Has anybody flown on Sri Lankan in economy recently, ive heard mixed reviews, also whats Colombo airport like as i have an 8hr stopover there good amenities? Expensive? etc etc

Any help appreciated
I've flown with them from LHR to CMB a few times, and in my opinion they are one of the best airlines in terms of comfort, service, leg room, and value for money. Comfort levels do vary a bit according to the age and type of aircraft, and it seems to be a bit of a lottery as to whether you get one with that distinctive 'new car smell', or one that feels as if it's been around a bit, and offers fractionally less leg room. The cabin staff generally look after you really well, and ensure you're well supplied with drinks.

Unfortunately, Colombo Airport is not the nicest or most comfortable place to spend 8 hours, and it's not exactly convenient for the city, either. Getting into the city can take an hour and a half plus of sitting in chaotic traffic jams, and I definitely wouldn't recommend going into central Colombo on an 8 hour stopover.

The good news is that CMB Airport is only a short ride on fairly quiet roads to the beach resort of Negombo. Whilst it's true that Sri Lanka has much nicer resorts, Negombo does have some good, affordable restaurants and a passable beach, as well as pubs selling cheap beer, even on Poya (full moon) Days, when alcohol sales are banned in much of the country.

When you're ready to head back to the airport, if you want to save money, (as your post suggests you do), take a tuk-tuk (3-wheel autorickshaw) rather than a taxi. If you're not sure how much one should cost, ask a local, and fix a price with the driver before getting in. Negotiate hard! Try to flag one down, rather than using one of the many which hang around waiting to to take foreigners at double the proper fare.

Good luck!