PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flyer
Thread: Flyer
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2001, 19:05
Pontius

Cool

Blended,

I think you're probably correct in your BA 'deal' prognosis (not what you want to hear I know). My reason for saying that is that 'The Company' wants to have the flexibilty of using all its assets how it wishes and CFE is now one of its assets (since being bought by BA). Fair enough, so far. However, what they were trying to do was have CFE fly more of the routes from LGW and effectively get the BA work done by a cheaper workforce. Well, you've got to give it to them for trying but it was never going to happen. There are enough of us with a vested interest in the long-term future of BA pilots (proper) to ensure that they didn't try to keep their 'undercutting' policy on tracks.

What they tried to say, is that CFE pilots are now BA pilots because BA owns the company and since only BA pilots can fly BA routes it was now alright for CFE to fly the LGW routes.

Now calling CFE BA is fine and calling the CFE pilots BA pilots is fine, but since they are BA pilots they should be on a BA contract and get paid BA money and BA allowances etc. That way 'we' are not being sold out through cheaper labour (which will do NOBODY in the UK airline pilot business any favours in the future).

I'm getting to the point, don't worry.

Now CFE are going to be BA and now they are going to get BA payments I think we are all more than happy that they should fly the BA routes. There is nothing personal against the people themselves that we didn't want them doing this before, just looking after 3500 people's interests. I say welcome to you all. I hope you enjoy the deal and that you are more than happy to be where you are. Don't worry about being 'just a number'. You are still flying from LGW and that's where the decent side of BA still lives (as an LHR based flyer I don't get down there often enough). The atmoshere and people at LGW is so much nicer and the 'snobbery' of Big BA doesn't exist. I know you CFE guys will like it.

Now Brymon and BRAL is a different kettle of fish really (but please correct me if I'm wrong). The existing proposal is not for either company to start flying 'main' BA routes and therefore this doesn't really affect the 'main' BA pilot agreement (although I'll have to look at the Regional agreement a lot more carefully before I go and dig myself a HUGE hole). Anyway, my guess is that because you are basically continuing to do the same job and fly the same routes as before you are not 'undercutting' BRAL or Mainline BA (EoG included). This means that there is no particular reason for getting you on a 'proper' BA conract. As I said; not what you want to hear. I would be delighted if I was wrong. The more pilots we can get in the UK getting better conditions the happier I'll be and I don't care what you fly or where you fly it from.

Before people start jumping down my neck with calls of 'arrogant BA git' etc, because I have used phrases such as 'BA proper'etc, please look at the context in which they were used and consult a dictionary if required.

I repeat what I say about CFE. I know you will be made very welcome, have a lot better lifestyle and soon discover that because we fly for a big airline it doesn't necessarily make us all complete w*&%ers....we leave that to a select few!!

Chocolates aweigh,

Pontius

------------------
You Ain't Seen Me - Right !!