PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From the ACPA itself.....
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2006, 23:13
Slapshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tan
"Hmm and which pilots have a pension...'

WestJet does not have a Pension Plan offered to it's employees.

What WestJet does do is offer to match, up to 20% of your salary, your contribution to the Employee Share Purchase Plan. Some of the people here participate in the plan and when the shares vest in a year's time, they sell their position and diversify their holding's with some financial advice.

What I like is that you can be as aggressive or as cautious as you like. Some hold the shares in an RRSP and use that as their nest-egg for retirement. Some sell the portion that the company matches and let the other half ride. Some sell it all and let a Professional at Fidelity or other fund house manage their portfolio inside an RRSP.

It allows one to be as Risk Tolerant or Risk Adverse as one likes. I had worked at a place where 5% of my salary was deducted for a pension and was matched with the Company putting in 5%. I'm quite happy with WestJet matching my 20%. Or less as the case may be, you can decide what percentage you contribute...

With Pension's in the 'States being attacked at Delta, United and NorthWest I don't find being without a "Company Pension" a bad thing... I have some control over where and what my retirement funds are doing...

Cheers.