PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair
Thread: Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2006, 21:05
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
It was a simple question. I don't know the minimum hours for a new F/Officer in Ryanair, but some of the text seemed to imply that it could be minimal. So, I asked.

There is no point in going into thread slippage if FL's requirements are greater than implied. But I feel that my argument is valid as a basic principal.

I gave my opinion about very low hour pilots, an opinion to which I'm entitled after some of the bewildering things that I have witnessed in the last 40 years.

I have, in my last years flying, jumped a jet transport flight in the UK which was crewed by a 60+ and a <300 hour pilot. The young man was technically a smooth operator until the height-lock was missed by the PF (the Capt) and also the F/Officer. I left it as long as I dared before prompting. My formal assessment of that incident, was that the Captain's distraction was valid in this case, but that more careful monitoring of the flight by the PNF should be ....'encouraged.'

All the bluster in the world won't alter the fact that new pilots of low hours do not, and can not be expected to, cope with the hopefully rare extreme situation. ..and yes, this includes the captain's incapacity.