PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CATHAY S/O INTERVIEW IN JUNE
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2006, 19:35
Flyer34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DESO Debrief Vancouver

I recently had the opportunity to attend a DESO initial in Vancouver this week (June 5-9) and thought I’d give you my $.02 worth on the whole process.

The first thing as you may well already know is the 30 question multiply choice exam when you arrive. The questions are not that difficult if you have read Ace the Technical Pilot Interview (be careful on this one as there seems to be a few errors that even I could pick out) and the Preparing for your Cathay Pacific Interview by XYZ. The questions are basic but it may have been a long time since you were familiar with what a rhumb line is so it is a good review.

The interview starts with HR questions about your flying career to date, why you left certain positions and how you and (if) your wife will like Hong Kong. There were only 2 questions about Cathay itself, how much they made last year, and where they flew in Europe. Not too stressful. The next half of the 1 hour interview is technical and covers theory and aircraft systems, particularly YOUR aircraft systems.

Handling the Big Jets is great for theory, the differences between jet airplanes and piston airplanes and makeing some of the questions in the “Ace” book make more sense as well as adding more points to some of the differences stated. All of these books are good to read before you go to the interview. I was very prepared to answer all questions from Handling the Big Jets like “Name six reasons for a jet to have spoilers?” etc. However, most of the technical questions being asked by the Training Manager for the 747-200 were about my own aircraft systems. There were a few questions about Mach trimmers and Mach Tuck, Vortex generators and Slats Flaps, but that was about it. Nothing asked about the fuel systems of the 340 or 47 or about the RB211 engines.

The most important part of your preparation for this interview to me is knowing your own aircraft. If you are flying a King Air or a Metro, KNOW IT! If you are flying a Boeing or an Airbus KNOW IT! I am very fortunate to have gone to the interview but feel that I spent a lot of time studying things that weren’t covered, like Hong Kong weather, and all about Cathay itself. I guess the problem is that you just never know what they will ask you in the interview so you try to cram it all in sometimes leaving yourself spread thin.

My recommendations for a close encounter of the first kind are to smile , try to relax and be yourself, know your current aircraft inside and out, read the fact sheet off the CX website, and brush up on the basics.

Good luck to All,

Flyer34