PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair
Thread: Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2006, 18:29
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by worldwidewolly
I repeat again, nobody disputes Ryanairs financial sucess.

Firstly, define financial success. I watched a program last night about lending poverty-stricken people in Bangladesh a few pennies so that they could escape from the money lenders. A woman was trapped into a deal that kept her next to starvation. The money lender called the shots, and she was in effect a slave.

Would this money lender be considered to be a success? It is an extreme interpellation, but flight crew do not need to be burdened like this while in an intensive stage of the training. Which brings me to the next point.

Far more importantly, just what is the minimum experience of the crews? To find a very low hour pilot in the right hand seat is just a little better than single-crewing a jet transport aircraft when the going get rough. Sure, for years nothing will test this concept, but it will one day, and I wouldn't want my family on that aircraft when it does.

I have spent some years beside bright young people who never miss a beat. They are tomorrow's captains, but for now their professionalism is a facade. The odd times that something went really pear-shaped, the low hour folk were way, way back on the steep end of the learning curve. Of course, this is what one would expect, but in those days, there was a shot-gun experienced guy ready to lean over his shoulder, or even takes his seat....Oh, and let's face it, pull my convulsing body out of my seat should I have a physiological systems failure.