PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurocontrol - Any questions, please ask!
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2006, 10:16
Lon More

More than just an ATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been following this thread, and similar ones, for some time and think youre heading the wrong way. It's all about your suitability to train as an controller, not just pass the tests.
These just weed out the totally unsuitable. Those who might do well go through to the next stage and interviews.
But even if you succeed, and are offered a place at IANS, that's only the beginning.
There is a lot of classroom theory to digest - failure to make progress can lead to termination. As can poor performance in the simulator.
But this is only the beginning. At Maastricht we sometimes had the feeling that unsuitable candidates were being pushed through just to keep the numbers up.
Again you will go into the simulator, this time simulating the sector group you will train in. This time not just with instructors, but also actual controllers ne of the things that will be watched very closely is your ability to function as a member of a team It's very much a question of how you fit in. It may seem harsh, but don't forget, you have to function with some ofthese people for the rest of your career.
Now, hould you have come this far, the really difficult phase begins. Working with live traffic. Real aircraft containing live people. Some trainees just can't get round this responsibility and crash out now.

Throughout your training you will be subjected to constant monitoring, monthly written reports, by your Trainer and Training Officer, at Maastricht will be made - hopefully not too many unsolvable problems will be discovered here. However, if there are, again the recommendation can be made to terminate training.

I hope I haven't rained too much on your parade but, as was earlier pointed out, I haven't just got the T shirt, I probably designed it as well. I was one of the original Ab Initio 1 trainees, before we even moved to Maastricht, and eventually retired a couple of years ago as a supervisor.
With a bit of luck you will get through, and despite recent happenings, it is still a very rewarding and interesting career. It's a damn sight better than having to work for a living. Good luck