PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clench Common microlight accident - AAIB Special Report
Old 9th Jun 2006, 09:26
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
I find that report absolutely shocking.

Whilst perhaps my level of knowledge is better than most, I really don't believe that anybody in the microlight world is under any illusion firstly that flying wires (the common name for the cables which failed) are structurally an extremely critical item, nor that the end-swages are the most critical part - subject to considerable inspection and control (often also periodic sample testing).

Of-course it's technically possible to make up replacement cables locally - but you'd obviously need access to the correct cable specifications, the correct type of terminations (swages), not to mention calibrated make-up equipment. Cables are a variable and complex business, particularly if their failure is likely to cause loss of life.

Secondly - why? Clench Common airfield (presumably as this was an instructional airfield, the home of this aircraft) is about 5 miles from Manton. Manton is where the aeroplane was built and product support is still available - it would take a few minutes flying time to nip over to Manton and ask them to fit some new cables. I can only assume that some idiot thought he was saving a few tens of pounds - on a £25k aeroplane...

Having said all that, and thought some much more critical things than I've posted here about whatever criminally insane idiot decided to make their own, clearly substandard, cables up in this way. Bloody well done to AAIB and BMAA for a quick spot of this and flagging it up to the world at large. And thank goodness nobody was killed!

G