PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "...taxying Blonkity for Wonkity, request traffic and transponder code"
Old 9th Jun 2006, 08:48
Scurvy.D.Dog
I'm in one of those moods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blueloo
"Continue Approach"
I thought this was a requirement to be read back.....or was that an internal memo/ or company publication telling us we had to read it back?
… must have been an internal company thing …
AIP GEN 3.4.4.4 Communication Services - Radiotelephony Procedures – Read-Back Requirements, including 4.4.1.f note ..An “expectation” of runway to be used is not to be read back
I interpret this to apply to arriving aircraft including those on final; also
AIP GEN 3.4.5.13 Communication Services - Radiotelephony Procedures – Phraseologies – Vicinity of the Aerodrome - Arrival at Aerodrome, including 5.13.9 d Approach Instructions - “CONTINUE APPROACH” … does not indicate (with an “*” ) a pilot read-back requirement
Just as an aside, has anyone thought that some companies liase directly with ATC, to find out what they want to hear,
… we are having direct talks with RPT re same! ..early in the process though, and will have to be assessed against ICAO anyhow (seeing as Oz is a signatory)
and whilst this may go against whats in the AIP, the company then issues a directive to its pilots in an attempt to standardise procedures at particular aerodromes.......
.. companies and ATC may discuss, and where agreed, operate in certain ways with those carriers! Those sort of ‘unique’ agreements do not (normally) include matters such as Phraseologies or any other operational matter that may affect other airspace users.
I am not saying its right or wrong, but if the company makes it part of the SOPs then it tends to be prundent for its employees to follow their wishes...
… agreed, it is concerning though companies have SOPS not congruent with the Reg's particualrly in this case, given that a read-back by aircrew at that phase of flight, or in the terminal/tower environment where ‘seconds’ of unnecessary VHF use could be detrimental to flight deck and terminal/runway operations safety!
NFR … had me head in AIP so …..
wdn
NFR, why would we rest assured that what you assert is true? i assume you provided the reference to back up your assertion that "visual" is a required readback.
AIP GEN 3.4.5.13 Communication Services - Radiotelephony Procedures – Phraseologies – Vicinity of the Aerodrome – Runway Operations – Take-off Clearance, including 5.13.6.3.f-p, and more particularly:-
6.3.l & m – when a VFR aircraft, or an IFR aircraft cleared for a visual departure is issued heading instructions
l. (instructions) MAINTAIN RUNWAY HEADING [TURN LEFT (or RIGHT) HEADING (degrees)] VISUAL, CLEARED FOR TAKE-OFF
m.* (instructions) RUNWAY HEADING [LEFT (or RIGHT) HEADING (degrees)] VISUAL, CLEARED FOR TAKE-OFF
the collective opinion of those in the tower does not override the MATS.
… agreed in principal, there are however other areas of the doc’s that can be read in conflicting ways, Phraseologies is not one of them!