PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates pilots no longer allowed to fly the plane.
Old 9th Jun 2006, 07:12
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is nothing wrong with automation but I think we have it completely wrong here. We should be mandated to hand fly once a month opportunity permitting, taking into account things such as ATC, weather etc.

When exactly are we supposed to practice our skills then? Certainly not in the sim sessions. We are occasionally tasked with flying one approach manually but that is to be assessed, not just for practice. So, in other words, we never practice.

From my experience, those pilots who occasionally hand fly during appropriate conditions are those pilots who maintain there ability to do so effectively. The opposite is true for those who never fly manually.

As for other airlines.... I have worked for 2 that allowed if not encouraged pilots to occasionally manually fly the airbus.

I believe this is a potentially disastrous policy that is designed for the lowest common denominator.... ie. those pilots who typically botch up the approach when attempting to manually fly.

The MEL should now be amended to state that autothrust is required prior to dispatch. Otherwise we are now expected to fly the aircraft under circumstances that we are neither trained for or ever practice. Madness I say...