PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My trip to stores
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2006, 06:59
The Helpful Stacker

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Having worked in Clothing Stores in the past and currently working in F&L I just thought I'd clear up a few points.

Although it may seem a pain Clothing Stores are correct (to the letter of the law) when they say that they can't accept 'dirty' coveralls. Scrap clothing is sold by tender to textile companies/surplus shops etc after we have finished with it and if a batch were to be contaminated the MoD would find itself liable to large financial penalties.

The point of visiting F&L to get a chit is to ensure that hazardous waste isn't just dumped in the nearest skip before you wander off down to clothing stores for a new romper suit, another source of potential financial penalties.
Yes it may seem a ball ache but (un)fortunately the MoD isn't above EP regulations and careless dumping of contaminated clothing could lead to large fines which if taken into the context of the whole military could seriously chip into an already tight budget.

I am a little confused at the 'fact' you need to have your line manager countersign your contaminated clothing chit though. The chit is a standard format along the lines of the waste transfer note and only F&L personnel are required to sign it as having received the 'product' you are transferring.

Anyway, its no good pointing as USAS says its not there and if it was you couldn't have it as someone else might want it.