PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I can't choose...
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2006, 21:40
welliewanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soconfused
Also, I didn't realise there was a difference between Integrated and Ab-Initio. What are the differences and do they really matter?
Ab Initio just means "from the start". You arrive not knowing anything and you leave with a frozen ATPL. Basically it's a nice name for a complete modular course.

Integrated courses are structured slightly differently. For example, you can take the ATPL theory exams before you even start flying (modular you have to have a certain level of experience, I think it's 100 hrs flying but that is probably wrong). This means that you can get all of the theory out of the way before getting into a plane, so when you're flying, you're applying the theory, not learning the theory (if that makes sense), it also means that there's not so many "gaps" in your flying while you're on the ground studying for exams. The other major difference is that integrated schools are much more strictly regulated by the JAA / CAA, so you can be sure of what you're getting.

Both integrated and modular courses get you the same qualification, the argument over whether the extra £20k (ish) for integrated is worth it rages on.