PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEAN And PULSE lines and the effects
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2006, 17:16
monobrow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right, firstly, LEAN as an idea should work. Perhaps for a manufacturer or somewhere were the variables are limited. LEANing a front line squadron will always have issues. so far I reckon these are the main ones..... (using an example I know of)

a) Resistance to change. Sometimes people get set into ways of doing things and have accepted them as safe procedures. Once things like 1 man see-off's and turn arounds came in, alot of people didn't WANT to do it because they felt it was somewhat unsafe.

b) Lack of communication. These groups are generally isolated in their brain storming sessions, and disseminate their findings and reccomendations to an officer / chief to put the word around for how now to do things. This is then met with a sweeping change and the lads are left wondering why this was done and the facts and figures that back up why they did this.

c) Implementation before consulting who it affects. This is a loaded one, the idea of LEAN is to make changes without being set in ways as to how things are done. We have had one instance of engine running crew change forms being changed by a LEAN team, implemented a quick change, briefed the aircrew and failed to tell any engineers. This led in loss of information of sorties, and 2 jets LITS frozen for a night while we caught up and made sorties going on auth sheets and ops opinions.

These are all I can think of at the moment, but theres probably alot more reasons, with valid points.

Oh and Hi everyone, 2nd post