PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mayday missed at LHR because of poor English
Old 8th Jun 2006, 15:08
planeenglish

Take me downwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wrote this on another thread.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=228707
It seems to be relative to location...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear H Peacock,
It seems there are differences in the transmission of FL. CAP413 (edition 16 dated 1 September 2004) states on page 31,
1.4.2.a) When transmitting messages containing aircraft callsigns, altimeter settings, flight levels (with the exception of FL 100, 200, 300 etc. which are expressed as ‘Flight Level (number) HUN DRED’), headings, wind speeds/directions, pressure settings, transponder codes and frequencies, each digit shall be transmitted separately
Whereas ICAO in their The Manual of Radiotelephony (Third edition dated 2006) on page 21,2.4.2 reads,
All numbers, exept as specified 2.4.3, shall be transmitted by pronouncing each digit separately. (2.4.3. specifies for altitude, runway visual range, visibility, cloud height to be pronounced [number] hundred).
I teach my students the CAP 413 communications standards but prepare them for both by using listening exercises with real transmissions where both are used. I have one dandy specimen (isn't there someone crying on one of these threads that scanners are illegal?) of an approach ATC native speaker of English saying, "cleared to FL [number] hundred, FL [number]-zero-zero". This is interesting seeing that he used this method only with non-native speaking pilots. With both American and British pilots he only used "[number] hundred ".
I hope I have cleared the air for you on all levels.

A question for you H Peacock,
I am still trying to understand the NATO Alphabet for the letter "P". In Australia last week I heard PaPah but in most transmissions I have heard it is pronounced "Papa". Any help you can give me?

Thanks,

Regards,
Plane English

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by planeenglish : 3rd June 2006 at 23:02.

Best,
PE