PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 152 or pa28 warrior/cadet?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2006, 14:33
gcolyer
Blah Blah Blah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A nice warm day with warm ground a gentle breeze makes the plane want to sit in ground effect longer, as Henry Hallam says it can be a bugger on a short strip/field.

I had exactly this issue last weekend in a PA32 with 7 on board (an old PA32 300) the strip was 600m hard top. Approach was great, flare was great, then she just sat there floating down the runway a little over 70kts. According to the book she should have stalled about 80kts when fully loaded (she certainly drops like a stone when on approach at 80kts fully loaded). As i was heavy i had no choice but to let her sink in her own time. A go around was out of the question i was to slow with a huge hill in front of me and to much weight to climb over it. Needless to say some hevy footed breaking immediate flaps up and up elevator in order to stop where required when she set down. My PAX asked if landed on an aircraft carrier!! Oh yeah my brakes overheated as well.

A nice warm day with warm ground and gentle breeze over the sea, do you think the aircraft will still want to sit in groundeffect as much?? (can you call it ground effect over sea? or does it exist over sea?)

I am talking in an engine failure situation here.