PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC120
Thread: EC120
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2005, 10:11
giveitsome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys sorry to Hijack the 120 thread but bare with me as I close the loop on some key issues with regards to NVD.

Eagle 86-Well put and very succint.

HF-Greg, don't recall you ever serving/working in Switzerland.

Wocka-Mate your a champ and the content of your post shows a very good understanding of what is around the corner.

Guys-The reason why I am big on 2 engs, 2 pilots, SAS/AP , a TSO 129 compliant GPS and a CIR is for the big "S"-SAFETY. I know this will ultimately cost some more $$$$ in the wash up, but what price do you place on safety?

Consider being single pilot with a goggle failure below LSALT and being instrument un-current or without a CIR in an ACFT like a 206 or B2 Squizza. If you planned for the event and maintained lotsa SA, and kept the IF skills up to date, then you might stand a good chance but recall when most of these missions occur (2 am, Cows Guts night, PIC tired and thinking about something else).

The EMS guys are on the right track with multi eng multi crew and good ACFT systems, good SOPs and TRG. Another set of trained eyes wearing the green toilet rolls is gold when it comes to goggle failure or some other emerg that distracts the pilot below LSALT at night.

What is of concern to me and others in the industry is the mind set of, Buy the stuff off the shelf, do a quick down and dirty NVG cse, launch in your 206 by yourself on a flight note at 2 am and hope for the best-Not a professional approach or worlds best practice.

NVD 's are around the corner no doubt about it, but as we all know NVD's DON'T turn night into day and we should crawl before we walk.

I'm all for the change and technology but lets make sure we have answered ALL the questions prior to approaching the regulator with our wish list.

Most humbly.

Give It Some!!!