PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hidden PPL Charges?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2006, 09:49
gcolyer
Blah Blah Blah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK V's US

At the end of the day there is no right or wrong.

I find that those that trained in the UK are not so keen on the US route and vice versa.

I personaly trained in Florida and don't see a real problem with it. It really boils down to you intsructor (in my opinion). The issues with training in Florida are:

1) Some of the RT is slightly different, and it is definatley more relaxed.

2) The airspace that you fly in will not be so busy, other than in DAB ORL and SFB airspace. Then you have to worry about ATC sticking a 737 up your backside or telling you to land in the wake of a 777, or clearing a 767 to land on top of you.

3) The weather. Yes you get more sunshine and generally better flying conditions which means you can get the course done fairly quick. But you also get a lot of wind and i can promise you will loose at least two days to high winds (over 12kts on the runway).

4) As mentioned the instructor. You will most likely have an FAA approved instructor that trains you. They wont be very clued up on JAA regulation, and they will more than likely only be interested in hour building for the airlines. To me this is the biggest concern. My instructor was excellent, although he did not have a clue about JAA stuff. I think you should look for the following in any Instructor:

a) Good method of Instructor
b) Sound knowledge in the subjects (FAA or JAA)
c) Excellent pilot abilities
d) Trust in the student (early on)
e) Calm in tense situations (Stalls, spins, Simulated engine failure)
f) Approachable
g) Commited to your training (as an individual to you and himself)

When you come home to fly in the UK, you will need to do a club check ride in order to be able to use thier aircraft. You will most likely need to do some RT work and procedure work (circuit joins, routed departures...) and you will need to get used to the weather.

When i got home i done 1.4 hours with an instructor and got the all clear to use club aircraft. Since then i mostly use my mates PA32, in the last 4 months i have clocked just over 100 hours. I have spent alot of that time flying in not so good VMC weather, being that there is alot of poor weather in the UK i thought it would be best to get used to it quick. Howerver i would recommend at least 10 hours with an experienced IR/IMC rated pilot first. Luckily thats my mate.

of course this is all my opinion.