PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mayday missed at LHR because of poor English
Old 8th Jun 2006, 09:27
planeenglish

Take me downwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, your English is better than some native English speakers, I put my spell-check to test every day.

There are linguistic studies on monolingual speakers not being effective communicators. (Listen to President Bush!) As I wrote before, I feel all aviation personnel should be taught in aviation English procedures. I have spoken to authorities about this and make my voice heard at all meetings. I think that the FAA is researching it. I know that they are aware.

ICAO says the standard radiotelephony procedures do not cover all areas of operations, i.e. unusual/abnormal operations. So, all these situations for aviation "plain language" as ICAO call it should be taught to ALL aviation personnel regardless of their native tongue.

I know a school that is specializd in teaching aviation English did proficiency testing on a native English speaker. This aviation operational employee was rated a level three (pre-operational) on the ICAO rating scale. It is awareness by all, especially those who speak English as a native langauge to make themselves clear. Miscommunications happen every day, everywhere.

PE