PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buried treasure at Kenley Airfield?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2006, 01:14
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
treasure at kenley

no aircraft were scrapped at kenley in my time (1960---1976),but countless cars and steel cabinets met thier end under the bulldozer on the dump.i remember the spit remains being dragged out,and if you could get there before the dozer all sorts of goodies were scattered around.i reclaimed a 3inch rocket tube and solid warhead,and had to wait till after dark to get it home across the common.the spit seat was to bulky,and had to be rehidden behind a blast bay for later recovery.it was not uncommon to find complete aircraft harnesses lying around (i had a shed full of them for years),and one set went on my turb.in one of the wartime buildings near the small arms range (a canadian wing flight hut) a complete rolls kestrel or merlin engine was on a stand,however the building was bulldozed one week and that was that.it is sad to see the fate of the old camp,but at least the airfield lives on.i had my first ever flight from there in 1960,the whole site should have been preserved as the definative bob station