PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA to conclude 2 engines as safe as 3 or 4
Old 7th Jun 2006, 20:14
Globaliser
Too mean to buy a long personal title

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jondc9
would you like to be on tv as an expert? let me know.
No, I would not.

Yes, I do get asked to do it (in my own field), but I always turn it down.

I will not talk to journalists except as "deep background" (which you will know is even more anonymous than "non-attributable"). One reason is that I am too busy to be entirely up-to-date with everything. Therefore, I don't put myself in the firing line.

You, on the other hand, do put yourself forward. You're under no obligation to do so, so one assumes that you have chosen to do it. But if you do it, it would be more comforting to see that you are up-to-date before making sarcastic comments ("please repost for my benefit") in threads on PPRuNe where most contributors are - unlike me - in the same line of business as you. After all, if an industry outsider - like me - can have been reading about this incident for some time, first on PPRuNe and then in another industry publication (Flight), I imagine that this isn't "just another incident". The aircraft might get written off, after all, like that in one previous similar incident (US, PHL, 2000).

And it would also be more comforting to see you properly reading posts made by Danny, for whom I have the most enormous respect, before insulting him.

Back to my own field, I know personally some of the people who are regular talking heads (or talking voices on radio) in the same position in which you appear to be - "experts" wheeled out to pontificate on issues for the benefit of the masses. I have my opinions about them. I sometimes wonder whether it's the same type of person who does this in the airline field as well, but I say no more.