PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Security...what a joke!
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2006, 16:19
ph-ndr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jockflyer
ph-ndr
As you are (self confessed) SLF, I would suggest that while you may have an opinion, I don't think it appropriate for you to come on a Professional Pilots website, and tell us that we should all stop commmenting on the lack of security which threatens us every day of our working life.

Sometimes we just want to have a moan about it. I myself just wanted to find out if others had a similar thing happen to them.

So, your comments are welcome, just don't tell (or suggest to) me what I can or can't say on a forum for my industry. I don't go on IT websites bumping my gums!

Cheers

JF
Calm down; I've not told anyone here to not complain or stop lamenting how the security measures impact us all on a daily basis. I do my share of travelling, at times more than do airline crews, and you have my full sympathy when it comes to blowing of steam. I certainly do, but i figured that instead of just reading another thread of rightfully frustrated people, crew, SLF or others, I'd try to shed a light on what todays airport/airline security actually is, and how most people misunderstand it for being the kind of security you have in a bank, where every risk is contained, seperated from threats and made foolproof. The one thing I did mention was that openly itemizing ways that passengers can easily gain access to objects and methods of applying these, is probably not in the safe interest of those who have to be put in those situaitions daily, as it would further undermine the task of trying to isolate your workplaces from direct danger.

Security is but a mindset, untill given context and motives by humans. In most cases following the money works quite well in sorting the context and motives.

Also, keep on piling on the good stories of how ignorant and stupid situations can crop up in the name of security, after all, when then day has wound down and the stress is gone, a good bit of these makes for a good laugh.

And finally, I'd never tell you how to do your job, even though I know my share of security and also how it applies in this world, I have no grounds to tell anyone in here anything about how to fly a plane, or even comment on it. I've lurked here for a good few years and I'll mainly stick to that, but I felt I could add something by trying to shed some light on how airport/airline security is misunderstood on a daily basis by most people, even those who face it daily, either as proffesionals or SLF.

-A