PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2006, 06:12
[email protected]

Received 622 Likes on 270 Posts
The radar is the same radar it has always been, the difference is that all the fleet has been brought up to Mk3A standard with processed radar on a TV screen with proper digital overlays and interface with the nav kit. The upgrade was forced in part by the FLIR MSS mod and the radops shack now has 2 TV screens on which he can view any combination of radar, daylight TV or FLIR or all 3 using picture in picture. All the FLIR/MSS footage can be recorded on DV tape.
Cyclic, if you want to see what our capabilities are then pm me and I will arange a visit.

Sasless - off on a tangent again mate. I assume by one on one roster you are describing a day on day off routine with no leave or other time off - is there anyone who operates SAR like that? Generally speaking a RAF SAR pilot will have 8 - 10 first standby shifts (in at work for 24 hours) a month, with each being followed by a day of second standby (tasking, airtests etc whilst on 1 hour readiness). If that doesn't seem a lot then consider all the military duties required on top then filling the Falklands Island roster once a year for 6 weeks and being available for short notice Out of Area detachments (4 - 6 months in Bosnia or Iraq). I can't be arsed to dig out all the stats regarding which flight is the busiest but from memory the top 3 are all military.

Oh yes back to Bristows and the 'they were going to upgrade the aircraft if the contract was renewed' boll8cks. I have it on good authority that they offered the same S61 but with a 360 degree radar....mounted by the tail wheel (a mod that does not exist anywhere in the world and that would have made landing on anything other than a snooker table very interesting. For all the protestations of innocence, they didn't get the contract...anyone suggest why if the service provided has been so satisfactory?