PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2006, 21:00
Crabette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SARowl

I can assure you that no S61 crew has ever turned down a SAR tasking. Even though your biased 'crab' attitude would like us to believe otherwise

Must think we were born yesterday? What never ever??

Perhaps I hit a professional nerve, I realise that 99% of the time you don’t turn down tasking, however the question was; the turning up and actually doing the ‘job’ bit. I know that there are instance that make the 61’s performance such, that the rescue attempt has had to be left to other agencies, be it MRT members, CRT members, use of a surface vessel or the ‘steam for port’ option. This percentage is higher than the ‘need a big helo’ for a large number of persons scenario….!

Then there is the old, tired kit that is struggling for technical support. Thanks to the complacent SAR manager (is he from a SAR back ground??) and BHL senior wheels, who must have hoped doing nothing would drag them into another half decade plus of contract, despite the obvious hard work and bravery of the crews over all these years to earn the company such a first class civilian SAR name. You boys on the coal face deserved better; well hang about , it’s staring you in the face but it appears some of you old, ‘management will see us right’ types need to wake up and sign up to a new era. Don’t whinge about the good old days when you could stash your old SAR diver kit and stand up to string your hammock in the back of the cab. “Fraid dem days is over!” Your misplaced loyalty to Bristow’s (cause you would do this job come hell or high water anyway) needs to be shelved along with your misty eye memories of a big, tired, under performing aircraft.

POTMESS
Guess you are referring to a job other than the recent one a couple of weeks back then (aircraft 12- lifeboat 10) Must check the press and forms ‘R’s of old. Unless you would care to provide a concrete event, time, date and mission?

What would happened if 45 people had been on the Sumburgh incident??

Granted the 61 could hold more than the 139 will, and the CH53 can hold more than the 61 for those really big disasters mid channel, but where do we stop…?

I digress though...the ink is dry on CHC's new contract, the new aircraft will be arriving, the crews will get on and do the job. Whether it's the right aircraft or not for each and every mission is immaterial. As I've said before stop whingeing about it (I know it's what you probably look forward to at work the most) join the party or leave...