PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2005, 12:08
Mama Mangrove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said Nick,
I wish Alan Bristow (as opposed to the guy using the name Alan Bristow - which I presume is a wind-up?!) would also contribute to PPRuNe occasionally - there's a guy wit a fantastic knowledge of the history of this industry.
I worked for both Bristow and CHC during my time and I think you're right. Bristow used to be the really innovative companny, but in the years since the 'Old Man' sold up they have let companies like CHC take over that role. Good luck to CHC with the contract. Whoever does it, one thing that won't change is that the crews from whichever company will do it in a thoroughly professional and dedicated manner.
I also agree with your ideas of having different helicopters for different bases. Back in the very old days where the RN and RAF covered all the SAR in UK, they used a mix of Wessex and Whirlwind at bases depending whether it was expected that rescues would be longer or shorter range. RAF Manson had the Whirlwind (S55 with Gnome gas turbine engine, for our younger readers!!) for many years. Does anyone have any information as to what the useful radius of action with an SAR loiter time is for the S92 and A139?
Mama