PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2005, 19:24
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Greenhaven, I am sure you will enjoy the ongoing efforts to 'harmonise' RN and RAF SAR procedures and terminology - it will be interesting to see whose patter ends up being adopted. I think the grand plan is to get mil SAR all singing from the same hymn sheet before we then try to get commonality with HMCG. The cynical would say this is a precursor to privatising all SAR as it will be much easier to do if everyone operates the same way. Personally, since 202 and 22 (RAF SAR Sqns) do things differently with the same aircraft despite common SOPs and orders and Culdrose and Prestwick operate differently, I think the chances of achieving 'Harmonisation' is as likely as the 3 military services ever managing a truly joint/purple establishment without one or other trying to take control all the time.

BTW the SH force is so stretched that the RAF SARforce now covers for some of its UK committments and many SAR boys are doing out of area ground detachments in Basra and elsewhere.
The Falklands Sea Kings are still there and most RAF SAR crews will do a 6 week det there once a year (or thereabouts).

PS most of the 'comfy crewrooms' are in aging, poorly maintained buildings because funding for new buildings is constantly being reviewed and never given.

PPS the military SAR force is operating aging aircraft which (with the exception of the Mk3A Sea King) would not get airworthiness certification by modern criteria because of the failure modes of the autopilot - but no-one will find the money to do anything about it.