PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2005, 07:07
The Swinging Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twinact,

May I be so bold and tell you that during my time, I served on a SAR unit (202 at Lossie) as well as a couple of Nimrod sqns prior to that and I finished my RAF flying last year on E-3's. So without wishing to sound too smug, I do have just a little bit of experience of both sides of this fence.

Firstly I should tell you that you are talking utter boŁŁocks Sir.

'Weren't just doing what they are paid to to do from their comfy UK bases'

Well, yes, to a point I suppose your'e correct. But there is nothing comfy about being woken at 2, 3, 4 o'clock in the morning for SAROPS. I'm not moaning about it. It was the best job I ever did in the RAF, and I wish I could go back to it! But its not particularly 'comfy' is it?

and 'Can we expect to see similar stats from those deployed doing a 'fantastic job' in far flung places' well, I very much hope that we will. There is nobody I know who would question the contribition the Chinook world makes. Indeed, as a fellow Helo operator, I have the utmost respect for them all.

But please don't get shiŁŁy with 'us' SAR boys because of the publicity we are given. It is simply a fact of life that when the world sees a big yellow egg whisk (or grey and Red for the RN) it is usually good news, for some one at least.

And, if you crave such publicity then why not join the SAR fleet?
I'm sure you will love it. But 202 sqn at Lossie at 4 am on a very cold, snowy January morning is definately not 'comfy'

Kind regards to all
The swinging Monkey
'Caruthers, send Twinact a reality pill would you please old boy'