PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2004, 09:13
tecpilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a decision?

May be some of us have seen that shocking video... in the past:

Please only for the interested helopilots and not the voyeurs! This isn't a game!

The helicoptercrew cutted the hoist line..., it was only an exercise..., in the border area between france and spain some years ago.

Why should this be happen? How is it to prevent? What's the opinion of the other hoist or short-haul experienced pilots?

I think it's the worst decision or fingertrouble they could ever made and i don't know if i could work as a pilot with such a "mistake"in the future. Poor mission preparation including mental preparation.

The cause was a sudden gust of wind, just at the moment when they were starting the rescue manouvres, which could have led to the helicopter crashing into the mountainside, which would have trapped the rest of the practice team who were below at the time. The rescuer and victim had just been hoisted a couple of metres above the rescue site - the Gendarme de Tuc de Crabes (Aran Valley) when the cable-cutter had to be used to avoid a greater tragedy. But, as the rescue team were already off bealy at the wall, a fact which the helicopter crew were unaware of, they continued to fall, after the initial impact, for a hundred metres down the mountain."
I know there are a lot of short haulers out here don't using radiocom between rescuer and crew. But with a good link between rescuer and crew such "misunderstandings" could be prevented.
And it's not a singular instance. Last year a rescuer relapsed from a longline in austria from 15m suffering heavy injuries.
We don't have so much technical failures, that's classic examples for "Human Failure".