PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2004, 07:49
UncleFester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's one for Abiw

First Gulf war, 3 hercs at 30 minute spacing heading for ex-lightning hi- altitude Saudi base. I was number two. We all had problems getting airborne and making altitude. We worked some figures back thro ODm and came out with ridiculous weight. Advised other a/c on radio of conclusions. No 1, ignored them, according to crew, hit ground with hell of a thump and crack somewhere up in centre fuselage. I landed using shed loads of power and most of 12000ft runway (yes, speed way above limiting so I held the nose off.. ) and taxied and blocked him in so we could weigh the freight as it came off.....surprise surpise, load was marked in kilos instead of pounds as movers had said.. Point is, had manufacturers limitations been set in concrete I think we would have all had broken main spars instead of the one who ignored best advice.
The broken one was recovered to big "A" without incident, however the subsequent t/o caused fun and frolics as the hot air ducting was also cracked and burnt thro the wiring to the no's 1 & 2 engines or was it 3&4. It was patched up and flown back to UK un pressurised, day light only, within sight of land!!