PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2004, 21:25
Triple Matched TQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst around the house of triple Torque I was made aware of the recent interest in my "INCIDENT". As the pilot of the aircraft in question I am obviously interested in all of the points of view that have been expressed - some sensible - some based on rumour (the purpose of this site??) - and some perhaps from self proclaimed experts who I hope never have to come to save me.

I have nothing to hide and so shall set the story straight.

As some of the more informed (experienced) commentators guessed straight away - the limit that was broken was actually Vmax and not Vne, (although Vne is not published for the Sea King - Check with the TPs and Design Authority at Westlands if you disbelieve that).

Whilst I can't address all of the points raised individually I'm sure that the answers will become self evident.

The call came from the RCC that a suspected heart attack victim was currently on a yacht 192 nm south west of the Scillies and required immediate assistance. Our ROA for the conditions of the day was 195nm (with all necessary safeguards built in). We launched and refuelled to max at the Scillies and then relaunched.
After about 20 - 25 mins en-route from the Scillies (55 mins into the job) we received an updated position that now gave his location as 205 nm SW of the Scillies. This now put the job beyond our declared range and if this had been the case from the outset it would have been passed to Chivenor automatically by the RCC and by matter of course had we received the info much earlier on we would have done the same.
So for the commentator who suggested inter-service rivalry - grow up because you are obviously part of this problem. We have an RAF SAR pilot on exchange and by the way Chivenor are covering our SAR during an annual dining out night next month.

Now faced with a stark choice - either come up with a plan to continue or call the RCC for Chivenor - this would then entail at least another hour delay - for a guy in the throws of a heart attack??? Our on board paramedic advised that the benefit of every minute early would have a direct effect on the subsequent longevity of the patient.

Now with a more accurate fuel burn calculation we assessed that we could reach the yacht but only achieve 10 minutes on task - which even had we been piloted by an RAF crew might not be long enough for a night time highline transfer (Nil moon - sea state 6). Therefore we took advantage of the strong tailwind and climbed with the resulting reduction in Vmax and achieved an altitude that gave an airspeed that exceeded Vmax by 8 kts (for about 15-20 minutes) which would then provide 20 minutes on task with a refuel required at Scillies prior to our return.
This deliberate exceeding of Vmax was discussed and although only an average QHI I was nevertheless aware of the implications of exceeding Vmax in the Sea King - namely the initial danger of retreating blade stall. Now for those of you that are familiar with the expression of "flying on the cruise guide" - this is a practise much frowned upon by the RN, however is an SOP for S61 ops in the States. Basically you get a vibration indication on a gauge that is quantified by a detector on the primary jacks with a green and red (unacceptable) band on the gauge. We experienced a low green reading throughout. And dare I say it to the non Sea King guys but the old girl soon tells you if she is not happpy.

Now I don't condone the willful exceeding of any limits unless you can a. justify the requirement and b. are aware of the implications of so doing.

The various other contributors to this subject confirm what was suspected by me and later confirmed by Westlands. Vmax is 10% less than the Vne which is 10% less than Vd which is the max design speed.

In addition to this course of action we requested that the RCC arrange for the in company MayDay relay merchant ship to attempt to transfer the casualty and make best speed towards us. This was eventually achieved and a transfer was completed from the merchant ship in 8 minutes (not bad for RN SAR!!).

The aircraft was then returned (within Vmax) but now into the known about strong headwind although the fast transfer, better than worst case fuel burn etc allowed a return to Culdrose to be made and a refuel was required even though Treliske was only 8 minutes further flying since obviously flying below MLA was a limit with very different implications and one we were not willing to exceed!! I take the hit that we then took off in an unserviceable aircraft (exceeded Vmax) however after nearly 5 hours in the saddle and approaching midnight I beg consideration and forgiveness.

The patient was discharged from hospital 3 days later with a clean bill of health and no lasting ill effects (he had suffered the initial stages of a heart attack) about the same time that I was warned of possible Courts Martial proceedings against me.

The Courts Martial threat receeded (I can now sleep at night!! without the threat of jail) and we all agreed not to break any limits unless we could a. Justify them and b. understand the implications of doing so.

We reported honestly and accurately our exceeding of Vmax which lead to routine inspections and a seviceable aircraft shortly afterwards.

I do stand by the decisions made although accept that a whole raft of other opinions may be offered although as one commentator stated you don't know unless you are there!!

Thanks for posting and setting the record straight.
..... rumour (the purpose of this site??)
No. Not the purpose of the Rotorheads Forum anyway, although rumours are inevitably posted from time to time. We prefer hard facts here, and I'm sure I speak for everyone when I thank you for posting the facts.
Congratulations to you and your crew.

Heliport
Hope you don't mind but I've changed the colour of your post to draw attention to it.