PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2002, 06:00
tecpilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Accident occured at 12:00 on monday. A mountain rescuer was hanging on a fixed line underneath a A 119 for a rescue practice. It seems that during the practice the helicopter got a FADEC failure with a very strong governor overspeed. The RPM was only at climbing power to control. The (very experienced) pilot climbed up from approx. 3000 to 9000 ft with the rescuer on the fixed line. During that time all possible decisions was discussed by radio between ground crew, rescuer and pilot. At the end the decision was made to fly from the mountains to the great lake "Bodensee" between switzerland, germany and austria. After the flight to the lake all possible forces were on scene including some vessels and an other rescue helicopter "Christopherus 8" circled over the dropping area. The A 119 pilot cuted the engine to idle and autorotated from 9000 ft to the lake. In the last moment flat over the lake the pilot flared the helicopter, increased the engine power (to the old failure with overspeed) and dropped the rescuer in to the lake. The other rescue helicopter and some vessels were within some seconds at the dropping zone but - the man was gone and is still missed. The A 119 made an emergency touchdown at hohenems without greater damage. That's the known facts at the moment. I don't know the A119 and her engine control and i'm glad not to be the pilot.

Fixed line is a difficult business and i remember my thread "Technique and experience for mountain rescue". We discussed the fixed line and hoist operations.

My sincere condolences to the family of the rescuer and the pilot affected by this tragic accident.