PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2002, 07:24
[email protected]

Received 646 Likes on 284 Posts
DeppC, without actually being in the aircraft at the time it is impossible to know exactly what the crew were doing or what other inputs and information they had regarding the situation - if you know where the cab came from then give them a ring and ask.
The point of my post was to highlight the priorities for the captain - ie safety of the aircraft and crew first, then the saving of life/prevention of loss of life. Sitting around having a chat and waiting for someone else to come and do the job really isn't an option, I suspect you would be less than happy if an ambulance crew drove without the blues and twos and then had a tea break when they arrived at your house after you had called 999 because one of your family was sick/ill/dying.
I don't really understand your comments about the beach job, if you need to get the winchman to the casualty you either land on close by and let him walk in or winch him straight to the casualty - hovering over the sea or nearby farmland wouldn't have achieved much. The crew must have decided that the casualty was in danger and that their priority was the prevention of the loss of life or injury that could have occurred if the cliff sticker had fallen/jumped.