PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2002, 11:53
NigD2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All

Some good points on a clearly emotive issue (questioning pilots airmanship is bound to be).

I think the EMS/SAR/Police do a very difficult and important job but there is bound to be good and bad airmanship displayed in all levels of license.

I don't think that the police or whatever pilots can be exempt from critiscism or questioning just because of their job.
I have seen a police pilot and crew land at an airfield (there was a heli school open day with several R22s doing trila lessons etc) and the interested public got to clamber all over the EC135. Top PR work for them and they were brilliant at chatting to everyone. When they lifted into a high hover and then slowly transitioned forward, the next door fixed wing flying schools plant pots and other decorative garden furniture was then sent flying over the car park and across the grass. This was met by the CFI of the school saying "F%^$*g helicopters.

A little thought of his downdraught would have stopped the animosity then projected at us "egg whisk" pilots that were left helping him to chase after his plant pots!!!

It was impressive performance though for a biased R22 heli pilot to watch