PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2002, 15:39
OOPS 78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to have to get on my horse(high) for this one:

As a SAR Operator I cannot comment fully on the above events as I did not witness them nor did I participate in either of them, however:

SAR Crews are only too aware of the effects of their downwash. The Pilots would have been getting a full picture of what was going on from the RearCrews but sometimes things can't be helped.

The people who were being treated may still have required an urgent evacuation to a medical facility. Being treated by a Medic/Paramedic at the scene does not compare to the definitive care provided at a Hospital(Gloden Hour and Scoop And Run and other great phrases). Also, did the SAR Crew know that the Cliff Rescue Team were 3 minutes away? How long would it take the Cliff Rescue Team to set up the rescue? A fall from 5m can kill someone, it doesn't have to be thousands of feet. SAR Crews have picked up a person who fell over 2000 feet and got away with it. She was then put into a hospital to a person who fell off a ladder and was now a quadraplegic.

Sometimes the public will just not get out of the way. I have personnally been involved in SAROps where no matter what we did the public would not move, then we had to balance the life of the casualty to the risk to the public. It is a difficult choice and you do the best you can.

Basically it boils down to the fact that you are not fully aware of the full situation and perhaps you should find out before slinging around accusations of unprofessionalism.

SAR/EMS crews have a very difficult job to do, which is generally done with little support from either the public or the Government. How about letting us get on with it.

Rant Over!