PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2002, 08:16
RotorDroop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixed Lines

Hi all,

I'm a 60 PC inthe Texas Guard and we use a fixed line for two types of rescue.

One uses a conical type basket (Billy Pugh) similiar to that used to hoist crews from boats to oil rigs in the GOM, this basket is used for pulling folks out of rivers and such.

The second is a metal contraption about 12 foot by five with a gate at one end and is intended for high rise fire etc. I flew the thing when we first got it and at any thing over 20 knots it really begins to trail back and by 80 it was close enough to the tail that we recommend no more than 70 as a max IAS. I imagine it would be rather unpleasant to ride in at anything quicker than a hover as the side rails are only about three feet high and there is no roof.

Both of the rigs hook to the cargo hook and have a secondary cargostrap that wraps through the cabin. In the center of the strap is a wooden block placed so the strap keeps it in place against the floor. So if I really need to punch off the load I first pop the hook and then the crew chief is supposed to take an axe and hack through the strap. The board is to keep him from damaging the floor or worse the axe.

Friggin goofy arrangement at best......only in the Army.

Best regards,

Brian