PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2002, 06:48
Cyclic Hotline

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I think that one of the big differences here is the concept of vertical reference operations - essentially alien outside North America - providing rescue services where none exists; and the application of specifically configured rescue aircraft operated or funded by Government agencies (or $). Vertical reference operations require precision longline external load skills, capabilities, and equipment that are not the realm of general helicopter operations.

There are many areas (and occasions) where no specific helicopter rescue capability exists. It is on these occasions that agencies look to local operators to provide that service. The cost and lack of utilisation of a winch may well preclude the viability of procuring such a system, let alone the cost of maintaining proficiency and having the capability (personnel and aircraft performance) available when required - we would actually have to pay for it ourselves and it is beyond the budget of most commercial operators I know. Many of the aircraft are extremely mobile and are often equipped with what they can pack. In many cases, this includes, specifically, a long-line.

I have been involved in at least 20 long-line rescues. I can think of at least five times that number that I know of. All were provided in instances where no other capability existed, and provided the only practical, expedient, means of retrieving injured personnel. It is not something we undertake lightly. We maintain all the equipment essential to safely sling injured humans as a legal requirement for the type of operation we do. If we do not have the means of flying someone out, we cannot operate. Our own self-rescue capability, is however secondary to any other capability that might be available (Coastguard, etc.).

There are certain hazards related to long-lining people, they have to be recognised and managed. Long-lining is however a safe and viable means of rescue where appropriate. Our flight time with someone on the hook is kept to a minimum, only long enough to remove the party from the scene, to the closest point where they can either be positioned inside the aircraft, or to some other means of transportation.

The Denali Lama programme, is a specifically configured programme utilising Long-lines and "screamer suits"! It has operated succesfully for around 10 years now and offered a capability that nothing else could, until very recently. Denali Lama On the one occasion that the Lama got stuck on the mountain, there were no alternatives, no rescue for the rescuer! Fortunately Jim got her going and came back down safely!

I think the big issue, is the ability to provide safe expeditious rescue capabilities with helicopters, wherever and whenever we can, utilising the skills and equipment at hand. We are not in competition with one another, simply enhancing the overall capability and likelihood of a succesful outcome. We all know that either would certainly come to the rescue of the other in the event it were ever required!

In all the lifts we have ever performed, we have never had a single complaint!