PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2002, 04:42
[email protected]

Received 648 Likes on 285 Posts
So let me get this right, it's a daytime mountain rescue, its blowing 30-40 kts and it's snowing - your casualty is stuck on a near vertical face and you want to fly the aircraft close to the rockface to get to the overhead AND look down 100' to make sure you don't smear the 3 man rescue team on the fixed line into the mountainside. Are you using the force Luke?
I must be a complete poof but I would opt for a winch operators patter while I try to stop the whirling bits hitting the hard bits every time.
I didn't get a response to my question about night ops - do you carry out fixed line rescues with mirrors in the dark or do the casualties have to wait until daylight.

TecP, the bosuns chair is a material seat harness with webbing support and a quick release box on the front. The box accepts a short lead that attaches to the winch hook. The winchman can also attach either rescue strops or a stretcher to the winch hook so that a stretcher casualty comes up at about waist height with the winchman.